Jenn: can I confess something? Until he passed away in 2004, in the back of my mind I was still comforted by his presence in my world. Of course I understood that he was stricken by Alzheimers and I read the occasional article about he and Nancy or perhaps the kids, and about his condition. Yet, the mere thought of him still living was still comforting. I found myself remarkably, absolutely stricken by his passing, almost like he was a member of my own family.
He was a politician; I never knew him and he never knew me. He had no idea I existed. Yet his death struck me almost as significantly as the passing of my own mother in 2002. How completely an oddity is that? — and it has always bothered me in some shadowy fashion.
So I went on a journey through the internet. I knew I had to start with the Main GOP website first. What is the GOP website? It is here; GOP.com. At this site I found these three bullet points:
- Winning the war on terror;
- Keeping our economy strong;
- Building an innovation economy to compete in the world.
I didn’t find our platform immediately. I had to look into “About The GOP” and then found it under “Party Platform.” What is our party platform? Go here for the PDF file. In essence the 2004 platform bullets down to:
- Winning the war on terror;
- Ushering in an ownership era;
- Building an innovate, globally competitive economy;
- Strengthening our communities;
- Protecting our families;
And therein it ends. Am I missing something?
Whatever happened to the following:
- Smaller government?
- Fewer taxes?
- Adoption and abstinence?
- Affirmative civil rights access without set-asides or preference?
- “Marriage” is for heterosexual couples only; there can be otherwise “civil unions?”
- The best way to deter crime is to support current laws on the books and support a proper death penalty?
- School choice, vouchers, home schooling, voluntary prayer in school?
- No Kyoto Protocol; voluntary emissions and public compliance?
- Concerted efforts to locate and source energy sources on US soil?
- Private property ownership is fundamental to this nation?
- Continued sovereignty for the United States and self determinance absent the UN?
- Clear deliniation between the Executive, Legislative and Judicial branches; SCOTUS judges who know their jobs and are strict Constitutionalist constructionists?
- No further gun control limitations?
- Stand firm against WMD proliferation?
- Proactive fronts on the soil of OTHER nations against further events on OUR soil?
- Profiling, wiretapping, using common sense in recognition of our TRUE enemies?
- SURVIVAL OF THE UNITED STATES FIRST AND FOREMOST!
- A strong and expanded military capable of global land, sea and air mastery?
- LIMITED IMMIGRATION! Only lawful immigrants, controlled by THIS NATION, via tightly controlled borders both north and south?
- Move welfare recipients OFF the welfare rolls?
- Independence in all facets: energy, production, individual?
- Promotion of the good of Christian religious tenets?
Oh no. I didn’t see those bullet points on our own website.
WHY WERE THESE THINGS MISSING?
And why are we even remotely attempting to be all things to all persons despite the history of this tactic resulting in abysmal failure?
So what does the GOP need to succeed?
Would it surprise you to learn that it needs to do no more than embrace the basics of its creation? — i.e. the points I’ve enumerated above?
For those Bush and GOP Apologists: where am I wrong?